Match Preview: Wigan 1-2 Preston Predictions and Betting Tips, Championship
Tips & Predictions For Today, February 8, 2020.
League: ENGLAND: Championship – Round 31
Match: 13:30 Wigan – Preston
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:2 WON!!!
- Wigan Athletic enter this ‘Lancashire Derby’ in high spirits after winning their last two games. However, they’ve not won three in succession since March 2018 when a League One club, so history is against them. The fact that each of their last five Championship wins came by a one-goal margin, including three one-nil victories, suggests they only do just enough if they do indeed prevail.
- Goals have been in supply in recent Wigan home matches though, with six of the last eight seeing both teams score and four containing over 2.5 goals. Goals are also likely later on, as Wigan’s home league clashes have seen 22 second-half goals compared to ten in the first half, including the hosts being outscored 8-3 after the 75th-minute.
- Preston North End are in decent shape themselves having gone unbeaten in four (W2, D2). A big part of their league success this season is netting the first goal, as they’ve only lost one of 17 (W11, D5). Furthermore, they’ve lost eight out of 12 when conceding the opener (W2, D2), which highlights the importance of a fast start.
- Unbeaten in four Championship awaydays (W1, D3), Preston have nonetheless only claimed three away league wins all season, although their most recent away clash saw them win 3-0 at Barnsley; their biggest away league triumph since January 2019. Interestingly, 11 of their 14 away games in the league have seen under 2.5 goals.
- Players to watch: Jamal Lowe has two league goals this season, which both came in Wigan’s last two home league victories. Meanwhile, Josh Harrop has three goals and one yellow card in Preston’s last five games in all competitions
- Stat attack: None of the last five H2H encounters saw both teams score.
- Wigan are the joint-lowest Championship home scorers in the league (14).
- Preston have been ahead at half-time just four times on their Championship travels this season (28.57%).