Match Preview: Netherlands 2-0 Austria Predictions and Betting Tips 17.06.2021
Netherlands – Austria Predictions & Tips For Today, June 17, 2021.
League: Euro 2020 – Round 2
Match: 20:00 Netherlands – Austria
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:0 WON!!!
Netherlands – Austria Match Preview
- The Johan Cruyff Arena witnessed a pulsating opening act to Euro 2020 on Sunday, as the Netherlands threw away a 2-0 lead before scoring a late winner, to make it six wins from their last eight games when starting as favourites. The 3-2 scoreline meant that each of the Netherlands’ four Euro fixtures previously held here have seen teams separated by under 1.5 goals (W3, D1).
- Frank de Boer’s men possess the superior H2H record (W9, D4, L6), and approach this fixture after a chain of three straight H2H home wins – scoring exactly three goals each time. Interestingly though, they have never led at the break during a competitive home H2H.
- Austria’s own opener also saw them concede an equaliser after taking a lead, throwing doubt upon their ability to reach the knockouts of a major tournament for the first time since 1954. However, two late strikes beyond the 76th minute were enough for a 3-1 win over debutants North Macedonia, Austria’s first handicap-beating win at a major tournament since 1982.
- That result means that each of Austria’s last four games won/lost at a Euro finals have seen the deciding goal arrive after HT. More topically, the same can also be said about each of Austria’s last six defeats in any setting, while the expectation of a loss here is underlined by their five-game form against UEFA teams currently ranked better than them in FIFA’s rankings (D1, L4).
- Players to watch: Denzel Dumfries’ winner vs Ukraine (assisted by Nathan Aké) was the Netherlands’ first goal since March 2018 to be assisted and scored by a pair of defenders. Sunday’s only other goal from a defender came via Stefan Lainer, with Austria’s first pre-HT strike at a Euro finals. The Mönchengladbach man now boasts two wins in as many prior goalscoring internationals.
- Hot stat: The Netherlands’ last eight wins at Euro finals have seen them score 2+ goals in at least one half.