Match Preview: Mainz 1-0 RB Leipzig Predictions and Betting Tips 15.08.2021
Mainz – RB Leipzig Predictions & Tips For Today, August 15, 2021.
League: GERMANY: Bundesliga – Round 1
Match: 14:30 Arminia Bielefeld – Freiburg
Tip: Away Win
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Mainz – RB Leipzig Match Preview
- The 2020/21 Bundesliga campaign marked a fifth straight season of undulation between 12th and 15th place for Mainz, despite them ending 22 of last term’s first 25 gameweeks in an automatic relegation position. A run of just one league defeat (W6, D4) since the start of March saved Mainz, with all six wins yielding a one-goal margin.
- With Mainz conceding four equalisers across their last five wins of the previous campaign, their defence remains questionable. As such, ‘Die Nullfünfer’ will be cursing their luck after being given RB Leipzig as opening day opponents for a second straight season, conceding an abysmal average of 4.17 goals per game across their six most recent H2Hs.
- Despite being the only Bundesliga team to concede under 1.0 goal per league game on average (0.94) in 2020/21, Leipzig have their own defensive concerns for new coach Jesse Marsch to solve. The departures of Dayot Upamecano and Ibrahima Konaté have put extra pressure on new arrival Mohamed Simakan, who posted a shutout rate of 100% across his six winning Ligue 1 appearances in 2020/21.
- With Leipzig also attaining only one clean sheet from their previous five Bundesliga openers, the chances of a shutout seem remote. H2H history also demands end-to-end action and unpredictability, with three of the five prior meetings at this venue seeing both teams score. That trio averaged 5.33 total goals per game, with the HT/FT points distribution changing each time.
- Players to watch: Ádám Szalai (MAI) gained neutral admirers after an opening goal and a later assist in Munich during Euro 2020 (D 2-2 vs Germany). His last strike for Mainz was a decisive opener, but the biggest danger overall may be €23m man André Silva (RBL), who bagged a brace of penalties at Mainz last term (W 2-0).
- Hot stat: Each of Mainz’ last six Bundesliga openers (W1, L5) have seen the winner on the day keep a first-half clean sheet.