Match Preview: Slovenia 2-1 Cyprus Predictions and Betting Tips 14.11.2021
Slovenia – Cyprus Predictions & Tips For Today, November 14, 2021.
League: World Cup – Qualification
Match: 15:00 Slovenia – Cyprus
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:1 WON!!!
Slovenia – Cyprus Match Preview
- Both Slovenia and Cyprus have just pride to play for, but a victory for the hosts could potentially see them finish third and take home the ‘best of the rest’ tag in World Cup Qualifying (WCQ) Group H. After starting the campaign with a shock 1-0 win over 2018 World Cup runners-up Croatia, Slovenia have since recorded a slew of less than impressive results, including a 1-0 defeat to Cyprus in the reverse fixture that extended their winless H2H run to three games (D1, L2).
- The 1-0 win over Croatia on matchday one also sparked a run of scoring just once in every WCQ home fixture this campaign (W2, D1, L1). Therefore, it seems unlikely that Slovenia fans will see many goals in Ljubljana on this final matchday, although they better be in their seats by kick-off regardless as all seven match goals across Slovenia’s home WCQ games this edition were scored during the first half!
- Cyprus were humbled 6-0 by Russia last time out and have now failed to win any of their previous eight matches (D1, L7), a streak that started after beating Slovenia. It’s been a poor campaign for bottom side Cyprus, and if they don’t net here they’ll end on just three goals scored this WCQ cycle – their lowest since also netting three during the 1986 qualifiers.
- That should provide some incentive to try and get a result, especially as they need at least a point to potentially haul themselves off bottom spot and avoid the indignity of finishing below fellow Group H islanders Malta – a nation ranked 70 places worse by FIFA!
- Players to watch: Atalanta star Josip Iličić has been Slovenia’s first goalscorer in two of their last three matches, he also scored in their last win against Cyprus back in 2013. Cyprus haven’t scored a competitive away goal in nearly two years, that strike came via defender Nicholas Ioannou.
- Hot stat: Four of the last five H2Hs saw one side lead 1-0 at half-time.