Match Preview: Atalanta – Villarreal Predictions and Betting Tips 08.12.2021
Atalanta – Villarreal Predictions & Tips For Today, December 8, 2021.
League: Champions League – Group Stage – Round 6
Match: 21:00 Atalanta – Villarreal
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: Postponed
Atalanta – Villarreal Match Preview
- The final day of this UEFA Champions League (UCL) group sees a reverse of the opening day game as Atalanta welcome Villarreal to Bergamo. The final table is far from decided ahead of kick off – Atalanta need to win to claim second place while Villarreal need to draw, with the added caveat that Young Boys could even claim third should Atalanta lose here!
- Encouragingly for Atalanta, they progressed from their UCL group in their only two prior appearances and they currently enjoy a ten-game unbeaten run (W6, D4) across all competitions after a great win at Napoli on Saturday. Consequently, the hosts are warm favourites to progress once again and they have proven they can beat opposition of this calibre after scoring twice in both halves against Valencia in a home tie just last year.
- It hasn’t been such a fruitful time for Europa League holders Villarreal, who are winless in four of their last five matches (D1, L3), a run which includes a UCL defeat that ultimately set up this straight shootout for qualification. Interestingly, visiting manager Unai Emery has met his opposite number three times in Italian-Spanish encounters – both teams scored in all three and Emery is yet to lose (W2, D1).
- While their manager may inspire confidence in the Villarreal ranks, Italian shores have not proved successful for the ‘Yellow Submarine’ across their ten European visits (W1, D4, L5). Despite that record, they are unlikely to roll over easily as they’ve lost just three of their last 25 European road trips (in 90 minutes), including two finals this year!
- Players to watch: Atalanta’s Duván Zapata has contributed to five goals across his last four appearances (G3, A2), including the match opener within ten minutes in their last UCL match. Each of Alberto Moreno’s last four scored goals came away from home, with the flying full-back Villarreal’s only scorer across their last 328 minutes of away La Liga play.
- Hot stat: Atalanta’s European clashes with Spanish opponents average 4.2 total goals per game (W2, D1, L2).