Match Preview: Aston Villa 1-1 Crystal Palace Predictions and Betting Tips 15.05.2022
Aston Villa – Crystal Palace Predictions & Tips For Today, May 15, 2022.
League: ENGLAND: PREMIER LEAGUE – ROUND 37
Match: 14:00 Aston Villa – Crystal Palace
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
Aston Villa – Crystal Palace Match Preview
- A narrow 2-1 loss to quadruple-chasing Liverpool last time out certainly didn’t disgrace Aston Villa, with boss Steven Gerrard suggesting that he couldn’t ask for any more from his team. Though that midweek defeat ended Villa’s three-game unbeaten run (W2, D1), Gerrard’s side are still battling hard to secure a first top-half Premier League (PL) finish since 2010/11, but victory against Crystal Palace is all but a must if they are to realise that goal.
- Scoring first and losing in that Liverpool game may have come as a shock for Villa, as each of their five home games prior saw the side that opened the scoring win without reply (W2, L3). Normal service may resume here though as each of the last five home H2Hs saw one or neither side score, whilst Villa’s four consecutive clean sheets during that five-match period represents the longest run of home shutouts in this fixture’s 109-year history (W3, D1, L1).
- Palace boss Patrick Vieira faced off with Gerrard 12 times as an Arsenal player (W4, D3, L5), but since the rivalry was renewed on the touchline, the Frenchman has lost the only encounter to date (2-1). A first top-half finish since 2014/15 is still achievable for Vieira’s men, though getting a positive result in this clash seems key to realising that goal with just a few games left to play and Villa breathing down Palace’s neck for tenth spot.
- Often slow out of the blocks, Palace have trailed at the interval in each of their last three PL away trips but they did win after a first-half defeat for the first time this term in their last away game (2-1 vs Southampton). However striking first still seems to be key for the ‘Eagles’ as they are one of only five PL sides yet to lose when doing so (W9, D6).
- Players to watch: Ollie Watkins has scored in four of Villa’s five wins since the beginning of March, although three of those scoring appearances also saw him receive a yellow card. As for Palace, Wilfried Zaha has scored the decisive winning goal in his last two appearances and was also booked in four of his 11 H2Hs with Villa.
- Hot stat: Villa have conceded a league-high seven goals during the opening 15 minutes of home PL games this season.